What Are Custom Fields in Trello??
Custom Fields is a Trello Power-Up that adds some big flavors to your Trello cards. And by flavor, I mean more context and information. Custom Fields allows you to add relevant-to-you (and your team) information to your cards in a way that makes sense for you.
Sounds pretty vague, right? I thought so too at first until I sat down with it for a good 30 minutes. Needless to say, my mind was blown. Why didn’t I do this earlier?!?!?
There is a list of ways you can use Custom Fields for your Trello boards at the end! Below is an example from Trello on how Custom Fields gives a card more context (OS, Browser, Version):
How to Create Custom Fields
- Install Custom Fields to your board.
- Open any card and click on the Custom Fields Power-Up
- You can choose between:
Custom Fields Features
Custom Fields comes with some pretty cool features that you should know about:
- Add Up to 50 fields. I’ve personally never had to add more than 4 or 5 fields for each card.
- Display Custom Field information on the front of each card.
- Reorder the fields by dragging and dropping.
- Drop down list items can have background colors for extra distinction or pizzazz.
- If a card with a Custom Field is moved to another board, those fields will show up on the new board so long as that new board has Custom Fields enabled, too.
- Add emojis to represent statuses and other needs, like stars, X’s, exclamation marks.
- Filtering cards inside a board will now support the drop-down list, checkbox, and text
My Favorite Trello Custom Fields Examples
- Create a done checkbox if you don’t want to move your cards around
- Create a dropdown list of task status: Queued, Doing, Need Help, Done
- Create a calendar field for start and finish dates so you can see how much time it took you to do something
- Create a field for due dates in addition to the native due date functionality.
- Rate books with one to five stars
- Account information like name, email, and phone numbers can be added
- Difficulty rating for tasks
- Manually log how long each card is taking to complete
- Tracking packages by adding a custom field of text.
Pretty much anything you can think of relating to dropdowns, checkboxes, dates, or having a field to add unique information, this Power-Up is for you!